This fall, 1Health will be offering a new, two-part interprofessional learning experience that will introduce health professional students to foundational concepts of interprofessional education and collaboration. This experience consists of an online module and a 3-hour in-person session that offers students an opportunity to engage with health professionals, experts, and patients, to learn how interprofessional collaboration impacts real world health outcomes.
Through this experience, students will:
- Increase awareness that achieving desired health outcomes requires collaboration; among patients/clients, families, learners, and a variety of administrative, social, health, and support personnel.
- Begin developing an interprofessional identity.
- Become aware of collaborative competencies that all learners across the health professions need to develop to engage in collaborative practice.
- Engage in meaningful discussions with other learners, patients/clients, and health professionals to increase knowledge of the various roles, responsibilities, values of collaborative team members.
- Become aware of the continuum of interprofessional education and practice, including the 1Health curriculum.
Student Participant Information
As a student participating in Better Together, you will be granted access to the necessary curricular materials and the online module via the 1Health Database. Once you log into the 1Health Database with your UMN Internet ID and password, you will be able to access the online module and pre-work form.
In the 1Health Database, you will also see your assigned in-person Better Together session, which will take place in the Health Sciences Education Center. This is an opportunity for rich, interprofessional engagement and interaction with a wide variety of health professional students, and with practicing health professionals and experts. In the session, you will also begin to explore how interprofessional communication and collaboration skills impact teamwork, and the ability to safely and effectively care for patients, clients, and communities.
Important note for students:
- Read the Better Together instructions that you receive from [email protected].
- Complete the Better Together online module and submit your pre-work form in the 1Health Database by the stated deadline.
- Plan to arrive to your pre-assigned Better Together session on time to check-in and find your seat! Each session will be held in the Health Sciences Education Center, and will begin promptly at 2:00pm and end at 5:00pm.
- Following your participation in a Better Together session, be sure to complete your required Better Together evaluation forms in the 1Health Database by the stated deadline.
Information for Health Professional Experts & Patient Panelists:
As a health professional or patient panelist participating in the in-person component of Better Together: Preparing for Collaborative Practice, you will be asked to check-in upon arrival and you will be provided with a folder containing your session information and small group conversation guidance. We look forward to your participation in this rich, interprofessional learning experience! Please refer to the instructions sent to you by the 1Health team for more information about what to expect, logistics, and parking.
Questions? Contact [email protected]