Phase III - Expertise in Practice
Phase III is a simulated, interprofessional learning activity called the Advanced Interprofessional Escape Room and Debriefing Session.
This escape room concept was adapted to a healthcare case with the intention that teams of interprofessional participants work together to complete challenges found within the room.
A faculty-led, interprofessional debriefing then takes place following the escape room activity. This debriefing discussion provides participants with the opportunity to share their experiences and reflections regarding their rotation experience as well as their experience with the escape room activity. This creates a unique opportunity for participants to learn about other perspectives and experiences relating to teamwork and collaborative care.
Phase III occurs during the latter portion of a participant’s curriculum and promotes the application of interprofessional skills and competencies required in a clinical practice or community setting. Participants of Phase III are typically at the point in their educational program in which they are participating in rotations or community-based training experiences.
Prior to completing Phase III, participants must watch an introduction video and complete two online pre-work forms (the IPE Activity Form and the Advanced IPE Escape Room Intention Questions). The video and forms can be accessed via the 1Health interprofessional data management system. The IPE Activity Form provides participants with an opportunity to reflect upon their observations and experiences pertaining to interprofessional teamwork that they noticed while participating on community-based rotation or training experience. The Advanced IPE Escape Room Intention Questions form is specific to what skills participants might wish to develop through the forthcoming advanced interprofessional escape room activity.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or if you would like to know more.
Phase III Components:
- Online Pre-work: This pre-work must be completed prior to participating in the in-person component of Phase III.
- Introductory Video: This video provides a short overview of the Phase III experience.
- IPE Activity Form: This interprofessional observation and reflection activity tool provides participants with a clear assignment that helps them to increase their awareness and understanding of teamwork and collaborative care as they are actively participating in clinical rotations or field experiences.
- Advanced IPE Escape Room Intention Questions: This form will help participants to consider what individual skills they would like to develop, or what kind of learning objectives they might have for themselves relating to interprofessional teamwork as they prepare for their own active participation in the advanced interprofessional escape room activity.
- In-person Interprofessional Debriefing Session: held on the Twin Cities, Duluth and Rochester campuses (See upcoming dates on the Interprofessional Events Calendar). Each session includes:
- Advanced Interprofessional Escape Room activity
- Interprofessional Debriefing
- Online Assessment & Evaluation: Three online forms will be used to assess participant learning and evaluate the effectiveness of Phase III.
- Self-assessment (ICCAS)
- Evaluation (End of Activity)
- Advanced Escape Room Evaluation
Step-by-Step Guide to Phase III
Once you are notified by your school/program that your rotation will include a Phase III interprofessional requirement, please complete the following:
1. Register for your interprofessional debriefing session on the campus of your choice:
2. Before your interprofessional debriefing session takes place, log into the 1Health interprofessional data management system using your UMN x.500 and password, click on the ‘My Current Curriculum’ tile, and then complete the required Phase III pre-work.
3. Attend the Phase III debriefing session and participate in the Advanced Interprofessional Escape Room activity as well as the faculty-led debriefing.
4. Complete Phase III assessment and evaluation forms in the 1Health interprofessional data management system.
Once registered for a Phase III session, the participant will receive an email reminder two weeks prior to the session date with instructions for completing the pre-work, as well as the specific date, time and room location for the session. The 1Health team will also send a follow-up email to participants to remind them to complete the assessment and evaluations after completing the session.
Questions regarding Phase III or the registration process? Please contact email@example.com.