The 1Health Interprofessional Education (IPE) Scholars Program offers University of Minnesota learners across the health sciences a unique opportunity to enhance your knowledge about interprofessional education, and develop important interprofessional collaboration skills. Successful completion of the IPE Scholars Program will allow you to earn a formal distinction in interprofessional education to be displayed on your official University of Minnesota transcript. To participate, you must be enrolled in a UMN health professional school or program. In addition to completing your program's core IPE requirements addressing the three-phase IPE curriculum, students who participate in the IPE Scholars Program are also responsible for completing several other interprofessional experiences.
Refer to the IPE Scholars Program Flyer for a brief overview of the program.
Through these experiences, you will develop your competence in each of the four interprofessional core competency areas:
- Values and Ethics for Interprofessional Practice
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Interprofessional Communication
- Teams and Teamwork
- Earn a formal distinction in interprofessional education, to be displayed on your official UMN transcript.
- Engage with a 1Health faculty member for ongoing mentorship and guidance.
- Enhance your knowledge about interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
- Develop and refine your interprofessional collaboration skills through a variety of interprofessional courses and activities.
- Apply your interprofessional knowledge and skills by developing and carrying out a leadership, teaching or scholarly project relating to interprofessional education and collaborative practice.
How to Apply
**Please take note of the application deadlines detailed in the "When to Apply" section below.**
To submit an application to participate in the 1Health IPE Scholars Program, please follow the steps detailed below.
- Go to the 1Health Database (www.1health.ahc.umn.edu) and login using your UMN Internet ID and password.
- From your home page, click on the ‘My IPE Scholars Program’ tile.
- Click on the ‘Start my Application’ button.
- Fill out the online application form, with your personal statement being articulated through thoughtful responses to the two questions on the form. You may consider your responses ahead of time if you wish:
- What does interprofessional education and practice mean to you, and why is it important? What motivates you to do this work? What do you hope to accomplish through this work?
- What do you hope to learn from the activities you’ve completed/are planning to complete as part of the program? What aspects of the program might be challenging for you?
When to Apply
Students who are interested in participating in the 1Health IPE Scholars Program are encouraged to submit their application during their first year of enrollment, if possible. Applications must be submitted no later than the first month of a student’s final semester of enrollment. Please note that this later application may not allow enough time to complete the 1Health IPE Scholars Program requirements.
Applications will be accepted during two application periods each year.
- For fall semester, applications must be submitted by October 15.
- For spring semester, applications must be submitted by February 15.
Questions? Please email the 1Health interprofessional education team at [email protected].
Core IPE Requirements
To participate in the 1Health IPE Scholars Program, students from any health professional program must participate in the three-phase developmental approach of the 1Health curriculum (awareness, skill building, and experiential). Students may complete their core IPE requirements for interprofessional education (as required by their school/program of enrollment), while simultaneously work toward completing the additional requirements for the 1Health IPE Scholars Program.
"If you are unsure whether or not your school/program currently meets this three-phase core IPE requirement, please reach out to the director of your school/program for more information.
Submit your Online Application
The application must be completed via the 1Health Database. Please see the "How to Apply" section above.
Following submission, the 1Health team will review your application and notify you if you have been accepted. If accepted, you will be assigned a 1Health Faculty Advisor.
IPE Scholars Program Kick-off Meeting
Your faculty advisor will contact you to schedule your IPE Scholars Kick-off Meeting so you can work together to customize your experience in the program. You should complete the IPE Scholars Program Kick-off Meeting with your 1Health Faculty Advisor within one month from your IPE Scholars Program acceptance date.
Complete your IPE Knowledge Requirements
Complete your IPE Knowledge requirements, as discussed and agreed upon with your 1Health Faculty Advisor.
- Review the UMN 1Health curriculum website, explore the tools and resources on the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education website, and read the IPEC Competency reports (2011 & 2016).
- Complete your IPE Knowledge Form - Part 1 form in the 1Health Database.
- Discuss what you learned with your 1Health Faculty Advisor.
- Review three seminal articles, and begin to understand current trends in IPE via scholarly journals (such as JIC and JIEP).
- Complete your IPE Knowledge Form - Part 2 form in the 1Health Database.
- Discuss what you learned with your 1Health Faculty Advisor.
Complete your IPE Skill Development Requirements
Complete your IPE Skill Development requirement, as discussed and agreed upon with your 1Health Faculty Advisor.
OR, choose two or more of the following:
- Interprofessional Standardized Patient Experience (ISPE)
- Health Professional Student Leadership Conference
- Introduction to Clinical Ethics
- Ecosystem Health: Leadership at the Intersection of Humans, Animals, and the Environment
- Interprofessional Diabetes Experience
- Interprofessional Collaborative Practice in HIV Care
- Seeking Solutions to Global Health
- Biomedical Ethics Seminar
Complete your IPE Skill Development Completion Summary Form in the 1Health Database.
Complete your IPE in Action Requirements
Complete your IPE in Action requirement, as discussed and agreed upon with your 1Health Faculty Advisor.
- Consider how you might apply your interprofessional knowledge and skills in a meaningful way (using the categories detailed below) and complete the IPE in Action Project Proposal Form in the 1Health Database.
- Meet with your 1Health Faculty Advisor to review your proposal and complete your IPE in Action Project Planning Meeting.
IPE in Action project categories:
- Interprofessional Leadership (Examples: Phillips Neighborhood Clinic Board Member, HOPE Clinic Board Member, CLARION Board Member, CHIP Executive Council Member, etc.)
- Interprofessional Teaching (Examples: student facilitator or instructor for a 1Health activity)
- Interprofessional Scholarship (Examples: Present a poster or paper on an interprofessional topic at a conference, to health care leaders, or to the 1Health team)
- Complete your IPE Scholars Program Reflection form and your IPE Scholars Program Recommendations form using the instructions detailed in the 1Health Database, and submit online.
- Complete your final IPE Scholars Program Reflection Review & Completion Meeting with your 1Health Faculty Advisor.