Welcome to 1Health! As a facilitator for the Foundations of Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration (FIPCC) course, you will be assigned to an interprofessional group of 30-40 students. In this role, you will facilitate discussions and exercises to demonstrate the importance of effective communication and collaboration in the health care environment. This introductory course provides students with the background they need to develop their interprofessional communication and collaboration skills. Thank you for contributing to this important effort!
FIPCC is a hybrid course that includes both online modules and in-person meetings. The groups will meet five times in-person during fall semester. During these group meetings, students are expected to participate in discussions and exercises that help demonstrate the importance of effective communication and collaboration in the health care environment.
FIPCC 2020 Course Schedule
On each “FIPCC Friday” in Fall 2020, groups meet from 1:30 – 3:30 PM:
- 9/18/2020: Teamwork, Roles, & Responsibilities
- 10/2/2020: Teamwork & Communication
- 10/9/2020: Teamwork & Leadership
- 10/16/2020: Wellbeing & Resilience for Healthcare Professionals ONLINE SESSION
- No in-person meeting this week. Students complete an online module during this week at their own pace.
- 10/23/2020: Ethics & Professionalism
- 11/6/2020: Social Determinants of Health
FIPCC 2020 Facilitator Recruitment:
University of Minnesota is committed to providing interprofessional learning opportunities throughout the health sciences. In keeping with this commitment, we work with many dedicated faculty facilitators, community facilitators, as well as advanced student facilitators to facilitate interprofessional discussions and active learning activities for this Phase I course.
For more information on the facilitator role, contact the 1Health Team at [email protected].
FIPCC facilitators are given customized access to the 1Health Database. Throughout the FIPCC course, this database will allows facilitators to:
- View course assignment information
- View facilitator guidebook
- Access your small group information and assigned meeting room location
- Track student attendance
- Provide valuable course feedback
- Access your personalized IPE Portfolio
Note: You will be asked to log into the 1Health Database using your UMN Internet ID and password. (If you are a non-UMN facilitator, please email [email protected] for instructions about how to set up a UMN Guest ID.)
Facilitator Training Sessions
Overview: To ensure facilitators are prepared to facilitate the FIPCC group discussions and exercises, each FIPCC facilitator is encouraged to attend an in-person interprofessional facilitation training session to supplement the materials provided in the FIPCC facilitator guide. During the in-person training sessions, facilitators will gain a deeper understanding of the skills needed to create a rich interprofessional education experience and how to successfully facilitate hands-on learning activities that are part of the FIPCC course.
- Create a successful, meaningful interprofessional learning experience for University of Minnesota health professions students
- Actively promote respectful, collaborative interactions and cultivate a learning environment that invites and includes all perspectives in course discussions and exercises.
- Facilitate discussions that provide students with an understanding of interprofessional education and collaborative care, and why it is important in our transforming health care environment.
- Facilitate discussions that allow students the opportunity to consider and work through challenges that relate to their future roles as health care professionals
- Facilitate discussions and exercises that demonstrate the importance of the interprofessional competencies addressed in the course: 1) Roles and responsibilities, 2) Teams and teamwork, 3) Interprofessional communication, and 4) Values and ethics.
If you have questions or would like to learn more, please contact [email protected].